And so because I kind of like them, and in honor of their victory, here is my top ten list of reasons why I think they deserve this big success:
- Because they chose to do something hard, put their minds to it, and did what they set out to do.
- Because they both have three young kids and work hard to be good Dads.
- Because when we were little, my older brother and I tied Daniel to a post in the basement and left him there crying.
- Because when we were little, Daniel and I wrapped Matt up tightly in blankets and left him outside in the snow crying. [What is it about me and tying people up in my youth? I really have outgrown that one.]
- Because I once made fun of Daniel's red hair and Matt's need for glasses.
- Because they are good husbands to their wives.
- Because their kids were all cheering at the finish line wearing t-shirts that said, "Run, Daddy, Run."
- Because running a marathon is really, really hard.
- Because they didn't quit [unlike someone else I know, ahem]. They trained through the heat of the summer, while working full-time jobs, serving in the church, and raising families.
- And finally, because I love them.
Well done, you two.